It's fairly easy (at least in Portland) to recycle paper, glass, aluminum cans and plastic containers. Here are some other easy ways to reduce trash output:
* bring reusable bags for shopping
* buy fewer clothes, and buy them at Goodwill or consignment shops
* choose items with less packaging (like bar soap instead of liquid soap in a plastic bottle)
* call companies that send junk mail and ask to be removed from their list
* bring a reusable container when you eat at a food cart or takeout restaurant
* freecycle items you don't need anymore, rather than throwing them away
By making these small changes, I've reduced my contribution to the landfill substantially. Mainly what goes into my trash is dog poops. I know pet waste is hard on the environment, but dogs are such good friends and help reduce our stress levels. They also encourage us to get out and take walks, even when we don't feel like it.